menu left
menu right

Lewes Conservation Area Advisory Group

Home About Us Living in a Conservation Area
Living in a Conservation Area

Living or having your business in a designated Conservation Area is a privilege but it also brings additional responsibilities to help to keep the historic buildings and pathways in good condition.

This means spending extra time – and cash – on things like repairing roofs with identical tiles or slates. Like replacing wooden sash windows with similar frames, rather than uPVC. Like re-pointing brick walls with appropriate tools and materials.

What are called Permitted Development Rights normally allow homeowners to make changes to their homes and gardens without seeking consent from the Local Authority: for things like home extensions, loft conversions, double glazing, changes to paths and outbuildings, installation of solar panels, TV aerials, flue-pipe exits.

However, in a Conservation Area, Lewes District Council Рlike most local authorities - apply what is called an Article 4 Direction  Рa legal instrument that removes many Permitted Development Rights for homeowners. This means that if you want to make any change to your home, however insignificant it might seem to you, you may need to apply for planning permission from the District Council.

The Conservation Department will be happy to discuss your plans to see if you need to apply for planning permission.


© 2011-2015 Lewes Conservation Area Advisory Group

website hosting main area bottom

Powered by Joomla!. Valid XHTML and CSS.